As school wrapped up, so too did my excuses for nuking Lean Cuisines and passing them as “homemade” meals. Moving in with Jared meant buying and cooking for two, more cupboard space and a chance to experiment with sugar and spice and everything nice.
So far, our favorite dish has been parmesan-crusted tilapia (thanks for the inspiration, Red Lob!). It was moist, flakey, and oh-so-tasty. But at $7/fillet, we’ll have to save this this tasty dish for a special occasion.
Another easy, customizable, can’t-screw-it-up-too-badly meal we like to make is grilled chicken salad. The other night, I switched it up and tried out Iowa Girl Eat’s BBQ Chicken Salad, with a few of my own “ingredients.”
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bag shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- 1/2 15-oz can of black beans, drained/rinsed
- 1/2 15-oz can of corn, drained
- Real bacon bits
- Your choice of BBQ sauce. (Can’t go wrong with Cookies. This was just the right amount of sweet/spicy!)
- Craft beer, chilled.
- Optional: chopped onions, green peppers, tomatoes, black olives and tortilla strips for garnish.
Does it help that I was a two beers in before I tasted it? Probably. Does it also help that Jared is a human garbage disposal? Definitely. But consider that another tasty recipe in the books! We’re excited to try out many more with all the great cookbooks we got for Christmas!