Oh what do you know, another month or two without a post! Work and wedding crafts have been keeping us busy and unfortunately, the dear ole blog has been ignored more than a white crayon.
But I’m back and ready to update everyone on our wedding happenings! Last fall, we were on a mission to secure all of our vendors and coordinate the “big things.” Feeling accomplished, we then had a five-month, Christmas-cookie-eating, no-wedding-planning hiatus.
And it was glorious.
But now that that’s over, we’re making to-do lists and crossing off the calendar days in anticipation of September 20. I knew from the moment we got engaged–and let’s be honest, even before we got engaged–that I wanted to make some DIY projects to help lower the cost of the AVERAGE 28K+ wedding.
Seriously. http://reactiongifs.com/?p=20754 And I know my way around a glue gun and a few design programs, so I considered it a challenge accepted to slash that 28,858 figure. First up were our save the dates; referred to as STDs from here on out. Giggling, commence.
I searched for “Pinspiration” for a style that looked like us and loved this photo design.
This STD was from minted.com and ran approximately $1.80 per card, plus envelopes and postage. Total guestimate = $390. After our engagement photo session with the talented Ryan Damman, I was eager to see if we could whittle that number down. I found free, downloadable fonts and came up with three designs:
We couldn’t decide between numbers 2 and 3, so we got both. 🙂 I also designed them to be postcards as opposed to stationary to cut down on our stamp pricing which meant a total price = $208 ($182 savings).
With the creative juices flowing, I started our wedding website. First off, God bless the good folks at TheKnot, WeddingWire, etc. for making quick, great wedding website templates for couples. But, now that I had these neat fonts and photos to show off, I had to go about things the hard way and make my own. I used squarespace.com, which also had website templates for the layout and a one-time charge for the URL and hosting costs. I personally didn’t find the platform very easy to use and spent a lot of time in front of the computer screen with a
glass bottle of wine trying to figure it out. But, it all worked out and is now done…sort of. Check it out at lindseyandjaredagetmarried.com! RSVP while you’re at it, too.
Since we knocked the STDs out with no problems, we definitely wanted to design our own invites too. Now that I had the fonts, our colors and a general theme to work off, I didn’t need to use Pinterest for ideas, just a few…dozen…design trials on my own to come up with the right one. #EasyPeasy
Once that was squared away, I really wanted to tie the invite and enclosure card together with string and a monogrammed tag. This also proved to be a game of trial and error and ultimately, Jared and I bought paper, punched out a tag shape and then found an “F” hole punch for the middle of the tag.
You know you’ve got a keeper when he hangs out with you in a scrapbooking store on the weekend.
Then, my lovely bridesmaids came over for an assembly party where we tied, stuffed and stamped all the invites to send out. I estimated the total savings on that project (offset with the cost of cookies and drinks to “pay” my friends), to be around $250. We ordered all of materials through VistaPrint.com, known for their flash sales and email coupons which helped me score a good deal.
There are plenty more DIY projects like programs, table numbers and our sign-in table to see at the wedding, so we hope you all can make it. Until next time, my friends!